The simple things..

I recently had the privilege to consult on a high profile project. It came as a surprise request, since I was asked to consult on a project that has in effect came to its end. The dreaded question was asked by the Project Manager: “why did our product not sell? Could it be that the people were not trained properly?” I went ahead with the normal tools of the trade and completed a full performance analysis and work my way back to the initial start of the project. Normally Learning and Development Consultants know that a “business problem” (like why a product did not sell, in other words: why did the sales consultants not perform) can fit into 4 mayor categories, which is seen as a matric with a complex weaving of one concept to the other: 1) Management 2) Environment 3) Incentive 4) Training.
What I founded on this specific analysis was a unique situation. All four the quadrants in the equation were out of sync. I found a micro-management style in the sales consultant world. I found an environment that was not conducive to any sales consultant (they had little movability due to the micro management). The incentive that was provided to these consultants were out of touch and unrealistic. The expectation management, and indeed change management that had to take place was nowhere to be found. Finally the training; the content that was written did not follow the International standard of design and development, with minimal consultation with business from the training department (that was at the time under massive restructuring constraints and de-motivated staff). And that it seems was in essence the problem from a Learning and Development perspective, the start of all other problems. The conversations, that is supposed to take place by a consultant place such an important part in the final stake of what is expected by the business. (The polices and procedures that govern these discussions were also not in place.) I felt very proud when I delivered my presentation back to the Project Manager, who was subsequently also in ecstasy over my findings. About a month after I delivered my presentation back to business I received a call from one of the trainers that had roll the project out into the field. We have an honest relationship, and she felt it important to give me feedback on my recommendations. In her wisdom she explained to me the challenges she faced from day one with the training, but it was only after I stated that I know all her frustrations, did she mention: “but did someone tell you about the printing?” I explained to her that nobody did such. She then proceeded to explain to me that this was not the first problem they experienced with training material. The fact of the mater was that the consultants working on this project did everything they possible could, but that they are limited, due to the fact that the printing company they use take over 3 weeks to produce training material... This had the effect that they would rather design presentations versus leaner guides so as to by-pass the none performing external company. I was dumb struck. Could a business problem as complex as a none performing product be attributed to a simple problem like an external none performing printing company? Apparently yes. (This was such an important lesson for me, that sometimes the most complex training problems can be attributed to a simple problem.) With a little investigation, some negotiation and an appointment of a new printing company, the ROI for learning department has since doubled.

Comments